Skip to Content

Frequently Asked Questions

First-Year Basics

Expand or Collapse all.

What are Bobcat Bucks? How do I transfer Bobcat Bucks into my student's account?

Bobcat Bucks is an alternative way for parents to deposit funds into their student’s account for your student to use immediately with their BobcatCard. The GET website is available to deposit funds in order to transfer money into your student’s account. Participating locations can be found here.

What is a U-drive? How can my student access it?

U-drive is a network storage space that provides your student with 5GB to save their files. Your student is able to access important files from their desktop, laptop or any computer on or off campus. Here’s how they can access their u-drive.

What is FERPA?

FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act) is the Federal law that protects the privacy of a student’s educational records and guarantees student’s access to their own records.

What are the dining plans for students living on or off campus?

There are several dining plans to choose from. For a full list of options, and a full list of places to eat on campus, visit Dine on Campus.

My student lost his/her TXST I.D. card. Where do they go to get a replacement?

Students should connect with I.D. Services in the LBJ Student Center to cancel their card and pay for a replacement.

What is PACE?

The Personalized Academic & Career Exploration (PACE) Center is a program that provides services for first-year students. They help you develop strategies for academic success and  the types of careers that will be available to you upon graduation.

What is the Common Experience?

The Common Experience at Texas State is a yearlong initiative designed to cultivate a common intellectual conversation on a theme, enhancing student participation and fostering a sense of community throughout the campus. The Common Experience brings students together to read and engage with a powerful Common reading book, explore related themes in University Seminar classes and other courses, and participate in related symposia with scholarly panels.

What is Bobcat Preview?

Bobcat Preview is a transition program designed to give new students at Texas State "just in time" information that will help you be successful college students. This is a required program for all entering freshmen who are part of the PACE program or students with 0-29 credit hours post high school graduation. 

Health Services

My student is ill. Where can they receive medical care?

On campus, we have the Student Health Center that serves all currently enrolled students. They take appointments during the day, and provide after-hours services. All students, regardless of insurance coverage, are welcome at the Student Health Center.

My student is not acting like him or herself, and I am worried they are depressed. Where can they receive assistance?

Students have free access to mental health resources on campus through the Counseling Center. Students can call to make an appointment, and also use resources on the Counseling Center website. There is also helpful information on the website for parents and family members.

My student will be away from classes for a period of time due to prolonged illness or emergency. Who can assist my student?

The Dean of Students can assist students in communicating to faculty members on behalf of a student experiencing an emergency.


What is the difference between academic probation and academic suspension?

A student is placed on academic probation when their GPA drops below a 2.0. Once placed on academic probation, the student has two long semesters (spring and fall) to raise their GPA to a 2.0. If after those two long semesters the student still has a GPA below a 2.0, they will be placed on academic suspension.

My student is struggling academically. Is tutoring available?

 Yes! There are several services on campus to assist students academically. In the library is SLAC, the Student Learning Assistance Center. Students receive free peer tutoring as needed. The Math Lab provides free peer tutoring in math courses. The Writing Center  provides free assistance with any writing project for any course. In addition, students majoring in the sciences, engineering, math or computer sciences can receive tutoring through the CLC (Collaborative Learning Center).

Students should also seek assistance from their faculty members or teaching assistants for any course.

Where does my student go for assistance with course selection/academic advising?

All freshman are advised through the PACE Center, and all other students are advised by a faculty/staff member in the program they are majoring in. Visit the advising page for more information.

Housing and Student Life

Are there resources to help my student find a place to live off-campus?

Yes, the Department of Housing and Residential Life provides an Off-Campus Living Guide that can guide students through the steps of locating a place to live in the community.

What is a Learning-Living community(LLC)?

In a LLC students live together in a residence hall and share a common interest, professional career track or major, all while providing them with different resources on campus, and creating that residential support. 

Where can my student get information about student organizations and clubs to join?

Student Involvement helps students connect with over 350 student organization, volunteer opportunities and student life events. Their office is housed in the LBJ Student Center on the 4th floor.

What is Honors College? How can my student get involved in Honors College?

Honors College is a different interdisciplinary way of learning that is small in size and seminar-style based. Your student can become involved as an incoming freshman or any time throughout their college experience. Here’s how they can apply.

My student is graduating! What do we need to know about commencement?

Congratulations! On the Commencement webpage you can view dates and times for ceremonies, parking and guest information, and find the link to live stream the ceremony.

My student needs help with transportation off-campus. What options are available?

Transportation Services offers many services around campus and San Marcos, from bus shuttles to Zipcars for rent.

Where can my student find a job while attending college, or after graduation?

Career Services can assist students from preparing a resume to applying for part-time and full-time employment. All services are free of charge, and services continue with the student as an alumnus of the university.

How can I stay informed about campus emergency information?

Parents and family members can use various outlets to receive emergency campus information. A full list is provided on the Parent and Family Relations website on the In An Emergency tab.